Headline #1: Vultures are Circling Above Cuomo’s Snowballing Sexual Harassment Scandal
New York’s Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo’s hold on power continued to deteriorate this week, with the state’s legislature taking their first steps towards impeachment and the tally of women who’ve now accused him of sexual misconduct reaching seven.
Thoughts and Observations:
- The most significant scandal of Cuomo’s has nothing to do with sexual harassment; it’s his handling of the state’s nursing homes during the COVID pandemic. Until this week, the allegations of sexual improprieties were little more than an excuse to bring him down for his more egregious actions regarding the state’s elderly. However, an accusation alleging the governor committed what would be an actual sexual assault at the Governor’s Mansion is a whole new ball game.
- We shouldn’t “believe all women,” because we shouldn’t believe all anybody; regardless of race, gender, sexual preference, blah, blah, blah. Anyone is capable of lying, and we should evaluate accusations based on objective criteria including evidence, corroboration and credibility. When we examine these allegations against Cuomo, any non-biased observer would conclude that the allegations deserve strong consideration. These allegations are exponentially more credible than those which were made in 2018 against then Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
- Assuming the seven accusers are telling the truth, there is no doubt Cuomo should be removed from office. At best, his behavior was predatory and unacceptable, at worst it was criminal and worthy of prison. But as disgusting as such conduct is, it would still pale in comparison with his COVID exploits. Those women should never have had to endure those experiences, particularly from an elected official, but the governor’s incompetence with nursing homes appears to have resulted in thousands of unnecessary deaths.
- The most disturbing of all Cuomo’s shenanigans may very well be those which appear to be his obstruction of justice, a charge which has come from both Democrats and Republicans. Therefore, if Cuomo is corrupt enough to coordinate the deception of federal authorities looking into nursing home deaths, what else is he capable of? Could there be other, more serious infractions with COVID that he’s covering up? And what about the women who’ve come forward? Are they just the tip of the iceberg, with other, currently unknown victims staying quiet?
- A common narrative from the leftist mainstream media during the Russia Hoax perpetrated against President Donald Trump, was this: “the walls are closing in.” Well, mainstream media, this is what “the walls are closing in” really looks like. Andrew Cuomo is in genuine trouble, and we need not look any further than the growing number of politicians on both sides of the aisle who are calling for his head.
Headline #2: Meghan Accuses British Crown of Racism
During an interview with Oprah Winfrey which aired earlier this week, Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle accused the Royal Family of being racist.
Thoughts and Observations:
- There were two obviously questionable assertions from the Duchess, with the first and most blatant being her claim regarding her son Archie that there were “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.” Call me a skeptic, but I’m not buying it for a minute. Who talks like that? Who asks that type of question, particularly to a Duchess? I’m calling BS; such a conversation never happened. And note that neither Meghan nor Harry would name names.
- The second-most ridiculous point from Meghan is actually laughable. When Oprah asked Markle to address the notion that she married Harry to advance her fortunes, she said, “Can you imagine?” Yes. YES! Not only can we imagine, it’s obvious. Your career, no offense Duchess, was not exactly on a Meryl Streep-like path. You were on a lousy TV show with lousy ratings and which nobody cared about, and that was your career. So you married a prince, and now you live a life of luxury beyond imagination. Indeed, Meghan, we can imagine.
- Prediction: Harry and Meghan will be divorced by the time the next Presidential Election comes around, and it won’t be anyone’s fault but their own. Meghan is a narcissist, and Harry is an a-hole. They’re a match made in purgatory. When they divorce, they’ll attempt to portray themselves as victims, and blame everyone else, and most loudly, they’ll blame racism.
- British Media personality Piers Morgan was apparently forced to quit his job after calling out Meghan’s apparent dishonesty. Good for Morgan. He stuck to his guns, didn’t back down, and called it like he saw it.
- For those of us who dislike everything pertaining to the British royals, this is fun to watch. Self-destruction in action. As they might say in the U.K., “the whole lot are bunch of wankers,” and they’re extremely leftist. It’s hard to feel sorry for any of them.
Headline #3: More Riots in Portland, Reason Unclear
Riots in Portland, Oregon erupted again on Thursday night, resulting in fires and smashed windows at the Federal Courthouse there; compelling law enforcement to launch tear gas and smoke bombs at the mostly-non-peaceful protestors.
Thoughts and Observations:
- While it may seem like déjà vu all over again (with apologies to Yogi Berra), the problems in Portland have never really stopped. While Antifa riots in other cities fizzled out last summer, those in Portland have been occurring on a fairly regular basis, including a major riot on New Year’s Eve.
- Most telling about the riot is the motivation for the violence; or the lack thereof. What, exactly, were the rioters protesting? That’s a good question, and one that the media and even city officials seem to be able to answer. Apparently, in Portland, rioting is so enjoyable you don’t really need a reason to participate in one.
- Speculation about the impetus for Thursday’s riot range from 1) concerns about the upcoming trial in Minnesota regarding police officer Derek Chauvin and the death of George Floyd, to 2) an oil pipeline that is planned to go through Superior, Wisconsin which is thousands of miles away from Portland, and to 3) the decision to drop a case against police in the death of a black man named Patrick Kimmons. If nobody knows the true reason for your protesting, what’s the point?
- The point is to cause trouble, get sympathetic attention from a willing media, and instill fear in the community and amongst government officials. It’s domestic terrorism.
- While the individuals engaging in the violence are ultimately responsible for their own actions, Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler shares substantial culpability. He’s used the approach of appeasement since the beginning with these punks, and has even encouraged them at times. You reap what you sow, Mayor Wheeler, and you get what you vote for, Portland Democrats.
Headline #4: New Arkansas Law Bans Virtually All Abortions
On Tuesday, Arkansas’ Republican Governor Asa Hutchinson signed a bill into law which bans all abortions, “except to save the life of a pregnant woman in a medical emergency.”
Thoughts and Observations:
- Laws placing rigorous restrictions on abortion have been passed in other states recently including South Carolina and Alabama, but this law is undoubtedly the boldest and will be fiercely contested in the courts. Many of these laws have been passed, no doubt, with the ultimate goal of being heard in the Supreme Court in a challenge to the infamous Roe V. Wade, and this could very well be the law that does it.
- In a sign of the times, we’re seeing Anti-Abortion states move increasingly to towards total bans, and Pro-Abortion states move towards unrestricted abortions; most notable of which is New York. It’s an issue that will ultimately be decided in the courts, and kudos to states like Arkansas for pushing the envelope.
- There was a noticeable shift regarding with the media coverage regarding passage of the law. Two years ago when Alabama enacted their law, the mainstream media was indignant and it was the top story of virtually every news channel for a few days. With Arkansas’ bill, there was coverage, but it was seemingly much less passionate; with much less volume. Could it be that the left is beginning to recognize that promoting the killing of babies is a losing battle?
- The abortion debate is one that Republicans must embrace. When it comes to social issues, public opinion on the debate over gun control remains relatively balanced and unchanged. Most other social issues, such as gay marriage, have seen the pendulum swing to the left. But with abortion, the tide is going the other way. More and more, Americans are recognizing the evils of abortion and it may well be the defining issue of our time. The GOP should shout their Pro-Life ideals loud and proud.
Headline #5: Biden’s Dog in Doghouse
In more serious news, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki explained during a press briefing on Tuesday that Biden Family dog “Major” was sent back to Delaware after biting someone.
Thoughts and Observations:
- Our esteemed media, so intent on keeping Americans informed, didn’t just ask one question about Major, they asked two. Forget about the trillions of dollars we’re wasting, forget about confronting Psaki on the fact that Biden has yet to hold a press conference, let’s focus on the dog. Stories about White House dogs are fine, but two questions? Really?
- It turns out, the Biden’s actually have two dogs, and both are German Shepherds; Major is the younger of the two. I must admit, I was surprised to hear Biden had German Shepherds; that would have been my last guess. I would have pegged Sleepy Joe as more of a Pomeranian-type of guy.
- In news stories the next day, many accounts referred to the dog as “Major Biden,” giving the poor dog the president’s surname. We all know German Shepherds are very intelligent dogs, therefore a question: Did anyone get the dog’s permission before burdening him with that name?
- Considering dogs have such a keen sense of smell, particularly German Shepherds, and considering they announced Major is returning to Delaware, we can only hope Biden’s son Hunter won’t be handling the dog-sitting. There’s no telling the amount of contraband that Major might be subjected to at Hunter’s house, and the long-term damage it could do.
P.F. Whalen is a conservative blogger at TheBlueStateConservative.com. His work has appeared in multiple publications, including the Western Journal, Human Events, and American Thinker. Follow him on Parler @PFWhalen