Headline #1: Major League Baseball Caves to Wokeness, Moves All-Star Game from Atlanta
Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred announced last Friday that MLB will move its All-Star Game in July from Atlanta to Denver as a result of pressure from the woke mob regarding the recent passage of Georgia’s voting law.
"*" indicates required fields
Thoughts and Observations:
- The three largest American sports leagues are indeed the “Gang that Couldn’t Shoot Straight,” but MLB might be the least-straight of all the shooters. The NFL has gone the wokest, playing the Black National Anthem before each season opening game last year and losing fans by the millions. The NBA cheers on their players for wearing woke slogans on their jerseys as they also hemorrhage fans. But this move by MLB may be the stupidest of all.
- The NBA’s television ratings had struggled a bit over the past few years, but declines weren’t dramatic; but they’ve been plummeting lately. Up until 2016, the NFL’s ratings had actually been climbing, but began dropping as they became woke. MLB, however, has seen their viewership in freefall for years. They should have a keen sense of how to protect their deteriorating ratings, yet now they do this? Pissing off half of the country while appeasing a small minority is not the way to fix the problem, Mr. Manfred.
- Consider the World Series, for instance, which had previously been a can’t-miss event for most of the country. Three decades ago, network television executives would battle each other for broadcast rights to show The Fall Classic. But nowadays the World Series is shown on cable station TBS, and frequently has less viewers than some soccer matches. MLB should have remembered The First Rule of Holes, which states, “When you’re in one, stop digging.”
- The backlash for MLB’s decision has been loud and strong, so much so that would-be-Georgia-Governor Stacey Abrams, who was the most vocal in first calling for the All-Star Game move, backtracked stating, “I don’t want to see Georgia families hurt by lost events and jobs.” Kind of late for that, don’t you think Stacey?
- Perhaps the most absurd aspect of MLB’s decision is the location. Colorado has voting laws similar to the ones being implemented by Georgia. They’re moving it to Denver’s Coors Field, and Coors Brewing Co. has always been a bogeyman for leftists due to their stance on unions. And Denver is one of the whitest, least-black cities in America, whereas Atlanta is one of the blackest. It’s ridiculous.
- Combined with MLB’s choice of Denver, if we also consider the rationale behind the boycott, the true bigots become clear. “Black folks aren’t capable of attaining photo IDs or bringing their own water to wait on line to vote, so your law is racist, Georgia. Therefore, we’re going to move this game – and the $150 million in local revenue it would’ve generated – from this black city to that white city.” Racism is alive and well in America, and it resides on the left.
- It’s remarkable that few corporations, like MLB, have recognized the opportunity of appealing to conservatives. There are indeed millions who consider themselves woke, but how many of them are baseball fans? My bet… not many. If Manfred had actually come out in support of Georgia’s law, he would have gotten backlash from some of his players, but he’d have hit a homerun with millions of fans. Corporations who eventually stand up to the woke mob could reap some substantial financial awards; and those who continue to cower are going to lose market share. Indeed, #GoWokeGoBroke.
Headline #2: Vice-President Harris Has Been Invisible as ‘Border Czar’
On March 24th, Vice-President Kamala Harris was appointed by President Joe Biden to oversee the crisis at the southern border, but to date has done virtually nothing to address the situation.
Thoughts and Observations:
- The appointment was a joke from the beginning. Harris was never an effective leader, and in fact has never been an effective anything. But it’s utterly surprising to see their approach. Harris hasn’t even visited the border yet, and it’s difficult to understand and correct a problem if you won’t even get off your ass to go down there and see it.
- Additionally, such a visit would have been ripe for photo ops for the Vice-President, and the sycophantic media would have been fawning over the VP’s every move. Instead she’s left herself open to widespread criticism, even by some on the left. If she visits the border now, it will be hard for any journalist to report it as anything other than too-little-too-late.
- Harris also has yet to hold a press conference on the matter, which again is shocking. The Democrats’ playbook calls for Harris to have a handful of press conferences, allow only one or two conservatives to attend, and then take questions only from reporters who adore her. The questions would be loaded in her favor so that she could blame the Trump Administration for every problem, accuse America of being systemically racist, and then spew a bunch of nonsensical statements disguised as solutions while the media claps like circus seals. It’s an opportunity lost for Harris.
- In case you were wondering, the situation at the border isn’t getting better; it’s getting worse. Harris has called a few foreign leaders from Mexico and Central America to identify the root cause of the problem, which would be a good approach. The problem is Harris and Biden have no intention of fixing the problem. They’re the ones that caused it by signaling to the entire world, “C’mon in! I won’t give you a hard time, and I’ll give you a bunch of free stuff.”
- In perhaps the most indicative sign of Harris’ failing was her statement that the problem is “not going to be solved overnight.” You got that right, Vice-President, particularly when no one is trying to solve it.
- Harris’ inactions with her border responsibilities, combined with her embarrassing insistence to chortle about subjects that aren’t even remotely funny, can only be described as bizarre. President Biden is a strange dude, with his sniffing of women’s hair and talking about kids rubbing his legs, but Harris is pretty odd as well. It’s like having the Addams’ Family in the White House.
Headline #3: 60 Minutes Hit Piece on DeSantis Misses Its Mark
On Sunday, CBS’ 60 minutes broadcasted a segment on Florida’s Republican Governor Ron DeSantis, accusing him essentially taking bribes in selecting Publix supermarkets to help administer vaccines for COVID.
Thoughts and Observations:
- The segment was a hit piece, plain and simple. Correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi intentionally doctored video of her questioning of the governor weeks earlier at a press conference to remove DeSantis’ explanation of the situation. She provided zero evidence that there was any type of quid pro quo involved. Instead, Alfonsi selected reports and opinions that fit her narrative; absolutely horrendous journalism.
- How inaccurate and ridiculous was the segment? So bad that the Democratic Mayor Dave Kerner of Palm Beach County – the bluest of blue counties in Florida – not only defended DeSantis and called the report false, Kerner demanded an apology from CBS. That’s not something you see very often from a Democrat.
- DeSantis has clearly become the primary target of the mainstream media. They’re trying to have him replace Trump as the face of conservative America’s evil, and go after him at every opportunity. There’s only one problem: DeSantis is really, really good. They tried to portray him as having mishandled the COVID pandemic, when in reality he knocked it out of the park and ran circles around Democrats like New York’s Andrew Cuomo and California’s Gavin Newsom.
- Even worse for the left and their media, DeSantis isn’t afraid of them. He doesn’t shy away from conflict and he doesn’t let them get away with their deception. He calls them out on their lies, and does so loudly. DeSantis has to be considered the GOP’s top contender for the presidential nomination in 2024.
- CBS has really had a rough patch lately, being uncovered as nothing more than Democratic Party operatives. In December they were exposed for having totally misrepresented the Hunter Biden scandal during Leslie Stahl’s 60 Minutes interview with President Trump. Last week they were hollering about Georgia’s voting law to anyone who would listen while they didn’t even hesitate in broadcasting this week’s Masters golf tournament, which is also in Georgia. And now this wholly fake news piece on DeSantis. CBS and 60 Minutes used to be the gold standard of investigative reporting, but now they need to have some investigative reporting done on themselves. Their credibility has been completely destroyed.
Headline #4: Trump’s Net Worth Down by a Third During Presidency
According to Forbes, former president Donald Trump’s fortune decreased from $3.5 billion to $2.4 billion during his presidency.
Thoughts and Observations:
- Remember that time when the left told us that the only reason Trump ran for president was so that he could enrich himself and his family? And remember when they told us that his entire presidency was corrupt because he didn’t divest from his companies? If Trump was so corrupt, and if his goal was to increase his wealth, how do you explain this result?
- Donald J. Trump is an enigma. Even though he has a massive ego, and even though he was often narcissistic, his presidency was about America, not himself. He governed with integrity and didn’t strive to put money into his coffers. Among other things, Donald Trump is a true patriot.
- In most cases, the left would be absolutely orgasmic over this news. When the left and their media become aware of bad news for Donald Trump, they act like kids on Christmas. But this news is different. If they acknowledge this story, they would have to own up to their stupid predictions, which is why virtually none of the major news outlets covered it. But imagine if the results were the opposite. Imagine if Trump’s net work had increased by a $1 billion during his presidency. Do you think they might have covered that story frantically? Do you think Democrats would be calling for investigations?
- In addition to being a patriot, Trump is also a fantastic businessman. It irks the left to admit, but it’s undeniable. Here’s a prediction: within two years, Trump will have increased his net worth back to that previous level and more.
Headline #5: Delta and United Compete for Wokest Airline
While Georgia-based Delta Airlines was bowing to the woke mob with their criticism of their state’s voting law, United Airlines announced their intention to ensure at least half of their pilots are either non-white or women by the end of the decade.
Thoughts and Observations:
- The move by Delta was moronic, and one which may cost them millions of dollars in state tax breaks, but the United Airlines decision is even worse. If wokeism equals stupidity – which it does – and if Delta and United were indeed competing to see who is more woke, the award has to go to United… hands down.
- For those of us who are frequent flyers of airlines, there are certain policies/practices by carriers that we expect and accept. Cutting costs by reducing the number of peanuts they give us; understandable. Charging extra for overweight luggage; that’s understandable also. But prioritizing a pilot’s skin color and genitalia over their competence is not on that list. That’s insanity.
- Not only is United’s new policy insane, it’s also racist and sexist; obviously. Again, reverse the races/genders and judge if the statement qualifies. If a company declared that they would ensure that at least half of an employee group was white men, would that be racist? Sexist? Of course it would. I may be over the top in making this point, and it seems like I need to make it every week, but it needs to be done. We as conservatives must not lose sight of their bigotry and we must call it what it is.
- Corporations weighing in on politics is becoming more common, but the phenomenon will be short-lived. People usually have choices of whom to give their money, and airline spending by individuals is almost always discretionary. Conservatives will remember the stance by Delta, and it will have an effect, but likely a small one. For United however, this could be a major problem. I fly both airlines frequently, and I will now avoid flying with Delta. But I will absolutely never fly United again. I’ll fly someone else’s friendly skies, thank you very much.
P.F. Whalen is a conservative blogger at TheBlueStateConservative.com. His work has appeared in multiple publications, including the Western Journal, Human Events, and American Thinker. Follow him on Parler @PFWhalen