In 1980, nearly every American was filled with unbridled national pride when the heavy underdog US Olympic hockey team of college boys defeated the powerful team of the Soviet Union. Before reading further, please watch the two videos linked to below. If you love your country, they will give you goose bumps, guaranteed.
● A short clip from “Miracle on Ice,” the feature-length Kurt Russell film about the most memorable hockey game in Olympic history.
● Do you believe in miracles? Al Michaels’ immortal call of the electrifying last minute of the 1980 USA vs. USSR hockey game.
So what has happened on the patriotism front since that epic game? What’s
transpired in that regard will come as depressing news for Americans who love their country. Some of what’s been happening in recent years:
● In May 2019, Gallup found that 70% of Democrats surveyed self-identify as socialists, up from 58% just six months earlier. Socialist/communist ideology is anti-American in the most profound meaning of the term.
● In October 2018, the New York Times reported that 69% of progressive Democrats are ashamed of being American.
● A Gallup survey a year earlier found that less than a third of Democrats are extremely proud to be American. Less than a third, and trending sharply down.
Having quietly turned decades ago to the side of the hammer and sickle, the post-1960s Democratic Party and its America-loathing allies in the popular culture have been remarkably successful at driving down love of country, and it hasn’t happened by accident. More of what’s been happening:
● Forty-one years after the most unifying sporting event in American history, an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll found that an astounding 72% of Democrats support millionaire athletes taking a knee during the National Anthem.
● Mara Gay, an MSNBC contributor and a member of the New York Times editorial board, recently said she found the sight of American flags “disturbing.”
● Grammy winner Macy Gray openly called for replacing the U.S. flag with one that represents black people, as if the current flag doesn’t represent all Americans, including those of African descent.
● In 2018, a Democrat elementary school principal in Georgia moved to replace the Pledge of Allegiance with an “Oath to Our Global Society.”
● To protect students who might be “triggered” or “harmed” at the sight of hundreds of miniature American flags at a 9/11 memorial display on center-campus, Democrat administrators at Southern Methodist University ordered the display moved to a remote location.
● CNN reported in 2018 that New York governor Andrew Cuomo, one of the most admired leaders of the modern Democratic Party, said in a televised address that “America was never that great.”
● In Democrat strongholds across America, calls are being made for end to the 4th of July as a national holiday under the fallacious premise that “all Americans are not free.”
● In our schools and colleges, Democrat “educators” are indoctrinating impressionable young minds with the poison of Critical Race Theory and its pernicious offshoots—white privilege, Black Lives Matter, intersectionaity, multiculturalism, defund the police, cancel culture, political correctness and wokeness on steroids. Each of these components of CRT are actively being used to teach tomorrow’s voters to hate their country.
As every unpatriotic happening cited above unfolded, America’s most prominent Democrats—Obama, Biden, Pelosi, Schumer—stood by and smiled.
A free nation can take only so much pounding before it falls from within to the unrelenting tyranny of single-party socialist-cum-communist rule. America is now on that doorstep. The question is whether those of us who love this country will forcefully speak out while there is still time. If we fail to act, future generations will never know the taste of freedom, and iconic movies like “Miracle on Ice” will be erased from America’s history, along with its flag and National Anthem.
We are living in perilous times. What will we do?
John Eidson is a conservative political commentator, a patriotic American, and a regular contributor to The Blue State Conservative.