It was only a matter of time before the finger-pointing surrounding the Russian detainment of American basketball player Brittney Griner kicked into overdrive. That time is now here. And the latest salvo in the intensifying attacks from Griner’s confederates aimed at the pathetic handling of the situation by the Biden Administration has taken a predictable turn.
The latest storyline being pushed comes from Griner’s coach, Vanessa Nygaard, and the only surprising aspect of the coach’s narrative is that it took this long for Team Griner to play the ‘Victim Hierarchy Card.’
For those who are unaware, Ms. Griner is black, lesbian, and a woman (presumably). Those characteristics provide Griner with the coveted leftwing scales-of-victimhood trifecta. Anyone with less than three checkmarks in that victimhood box is not only unworthy of comment, they’re fair game for attacks. Such is the case with the otherwise-adored far-left male basketball star, LeBron James.
According to Sports Illustrated:
“As Mercury center Brittney Griner’s trial in Russia is now underway, many in the U.S. have grown frustrated that the star player’s detainment has continued for so long. On Tuesday, Phoenix coach Vanessa Nygaard posited the question: What if someone like LeBron James was in Griner’s place?
‘If it was LeBron, he’d be home, right?’ Nygaard said, according to Casey L. Moor of USA TODAY. ‘It’s a statement about the value of women. It’s a statement about the value of a black person. It’s a statement about the value of a gay person. All of those things. We know it, and so that’s what hurts a little more.’”
And there it is! Nygaard only needed 51 words to call out the trio of Griner’s intersectional traits and to hold each of them up as the reason why Griner hasn’t been released by Vladimir Putin’s Russian government yet. Bravo, Ms. Nygaard. Truly… well done!
There are so many features of the still-unfolding Griner saga that make us shake our heads, they’re difficult to keep up with. Nonetheless, here’s a brief recap:
– Prior to her February arrest and subsequent imprisonment due to her alleged possession of cannabis oil at a Russian airport, Griner had been an unabashed, America-hating multi-millionaire. Griner had refused to even enter arenas until after our National Anthem was played.
"*" indicates required fields
– But now that she’s facing up to ten years in prison, a “terrified” Griner has a newfound appreciation of our great country and began begging for help from the Biden Administration on the Fourth of July, ironically enough.
– The Biden Administration has proven itself to be a toothless tiger with no resolve. The disastrous Afghanistan withdrawal last summer paved the way for Putin’s invasion of Ukraine last winter. Biden was then forced to directly oppose Putin’s aggression which has made Brittney Griner nothing more than a shiny bargaining chip for Mr. Putin.
– While Griner’s leftist cronies will extoll the virtues of any politician with a “D” next to their name, they’ve become so frustrated that they’ve had to turn their aggressions toward that same party.
– And Griner’s allies are launching attacks at the Biden Administration for not prioritizing Griner’s skin color, gender, and sexuality, even though Mr. Biden picked his Vice-President and Supreme Court nominees based solely on their race and genitalia, and he picked his Transportation Secretary based solely on his homosexuality.
The irony is laughable. There has never been a president who more openly discriminates in favor of black women and gay folks, yet allies such as Ms. Nygaard are so accustomed to playing the victim, that they can’t help themselves.
We’re sorry Ms. Nygaard, but Brittney Griner isn’t being held in that Russian prison because she’s black, female, and gay. She’s being held because she allegedly violated the laws of a sovereign nation. That nation is run by a dictator who has no respect for the clown you support in the Oval Office, and Ms. Griner has now become a mere political pawn. And it wouldn’t have mattered if it had been LeBron James, or Jussie Smollett, or Joy Behar who had been arrested. They’d all be in a similar predicament, thanks to President Joe Biden.
Brittney Griner’s continuing detention has nothing to do with those intersectional victimhood traits you covet so much, but it’s delightful to watch all of you lose your minds and go after the Administration. Please, by all means, keep it going. We’re just sitting back with our popcorn and laughing at the spectacle.
By Jess Lawson
Jess Lawson is a regular contributor to The Blue State Conservative and a passionate, conservative millennial who loves America.
Enjoy HUGE savings at My Pillow with promo code BSC
The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Blue State Conservative. The BSC is not responsible for, and does not verify the accuracy of, any information presented.
Notice: This article may contain commentary that reflects the author’s opinion.
Featured photo courtesy of GLAAD Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)