In the wake of a series of explosions in the Baltic Sea that has left both Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 crippled, European leaders have swiftly condemned the destruction as “deliberate acts” amounting to “sabotage.” In response, they are threatening that the perpetrator(s) could face an escalated response if anything else happens to active energy sources.
European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen issued a forceful statement after conferring with her team, saying:
Spoke to @Statsmin Frederiksen on the sabotage action #Nordstream. Paramount to now investigate the incidents, get full clarity on events & why. Any deliberate disruption of active European energy infrastructure is unacceptable & will lead to the strongest possible response.
Paramount to now investigate the incidents, get full clarity on events & why.
Any deliberate disruption of active European energy infrastructure is unacceptable & will lead to the strongest possible response.
— Ursula von der Leyen (@vonderleyen) September 27, 2022
Von der Leyen’s comments came on the heels of other nations’ leaders making similar statements. While she used the language of sabotage, Denmark’s Prime Minister alluded to the nature of the cause of the gigantic leaks and came away with only one conclusion. ZeroHedge wrote:
Earlier, Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen described the three separate leaks on NS1 and NS2 as “deliberate acts,” adding: “It’s hard to imagine that it’s accidental.”
On Monday, Swedish seismologists reported the detection of underwater explosions – shortly after which large patches of roiling gas could be seen on the surface in the same area.
"*" indicates required fields
Frederiksen followed that up with a less ambiguous assessment, declaring that the actions taken against the Nord Stream natural gas conduits were not an accident, but rather “deliberate actions.”
Danish gov speaking live now on Nord Stream leaks.
PM Mette Frederiksen "These are deliberate actions, not an accident." pic.twitter.com/UMw4MOUgc9
— Carl Fridh Kleberg (@FridhKleberg) September 27, 2022
ZeroHedge then quoted two different Polish sources, former Defense Minister – who previously and unapologetically blamed the United States for the attack – and current Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, who was prepared to accuse Russia of carrying out the attack.
The former’s tweet can be seen below:
Thank you, USA. pic.twitter.com/nALlYQ1Crb
— Radek Sikorski MEP (@radeksikorski) September 27, 2022
ZeroHedge followed up by writing:
And while Poland’s former Defense Minister appeared to thank the United States for the attack (a perfectly good explanation for which we’re sure is will be offered), Poland’s PM, Mateusz Morawiecki, laid the blame on Russia for targeting the pipelines – suggesting that the attack was an attempt to escalate the Ukraine conflict.
“We do not know the details of what happened yet, but we can clearly see that it is an act of sabotage,” said Morawiecki, adding “An act that probably marks the next stage in the escalation of this situation in Ukraine.”
All of the rhetoric appears to be supported by a Swedish seismography team, which identified two explosions occurring underwater and in proximity to the damaged pipelines. The type of explosions would indicate they were not natural.
Swedish broadcaster SVT reported that the Swedish National Seismic Network detected two underwater explosions near the Nord Stream pipeline system on Monday.
“One of the explosions had a magnitude of 2.3, and was registered at as many as 30 measuring stations in southern Sweden,” SVT said.
Bjorn Lund, a professor in seismology and director of the Swedish National Seismic Network, said these two seismic events were explosions.
It remains to be seen how Europe responds to the crisis on their hands. Curiously, the Biden administration – through Biden himself as as well as the State Department’s Victoria Nuland – had both previously made threatening statements in early 2022 about disabling the Nord Stream 2 project if Russia became militarily involved in Ukraine.